The 'Introduction to garment alterations' has been developed for those fairly new to using a sewing machine and hand sewing techniques and is a good foundation class before working directly on your own clothing, which takes place in afternoon class 'Refresh your Wardrobe'. A discount is offered when you book the full day!
If you have never used a sewing machine before, we recommend attending our 'Provisional Driving' - introduction to using a sewing machine class.
The class will consist of a series of excersises, giving you the basic practical understanding in how to tackle simple sewing alterations, repairs and 'upcycling'. There will also be a collection of transformed garments to inspire and inform.
The session is taught by 'Fabrications' Barley Massey who will share a variety of techniques, tips and tricks she picked up during her 15 years of working freelance in wardrobe for Film and TV and through her own textile upcycling practise of over 20 years.
On completion of the class participants will confidently be able to:
- Use a seam ripper / quick unpick and best practise on using it!
- Prepare a garment for modifying from trying on, measuring, pinning and best approach for sewing
- Understand how to take seams in or out
- Know how to lift a hem, sort out a lining
- Apply darts, pleats, gathering and elasticating to reduce volume and shape to your body
- Use useful hand stitches such as invisible / slip stitch, back stitch and button hole stitch
- Replace a broken zip
- Look at old clothes in a whole new way!
All materials provided, and use of 'Brother' sewing machines, scissors etc.
For more information about Fabrications and our classes, please visit our Website
Booking Terms & Conditions