Actions and Detail Panel
Introduction to Human Factors in Healthcare
Wed 25 October 2017, 08:30 – 17:00 BST
This programme is for Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust staff who wish to develop their understanding of the science of Human Factors. It is also part of the faculty development programme of SaIL and is a mandatory part of the Essential Simulation faculty programme.
This one day course introduces the concepts of Human Factors science. It explores error and its definition, Safety 1 and the emerging science of a Safety 2 and applied resilience, and introduces the Circle of Care – a model for compassionate Human Factors in Healthcare.
- To provide an understanding of error and its classification
- To provide an understanding of Safety 1 and 2 and applied resilience in healthcare
- To introduce the circle of care model and its relationship to Non-technical skills and CRM
- To gain a basic understanding of the nine skills of the circle of care
After completion of the full programme participants will be able to:
- Define a basic nomenclature for error and use it to classify error
- Describe the basic concepts of safety 2 and applied resilience and have a basic understanding of how to apply them to simulation and clinical practice
- Describe the circle of care – model for compassionate Human Factors in Healthcare and the nine skills that make it up