Actions and Detail Panel
INTRODUCTION TO MACHINE SEWING: MAKE A CUSHION (Fri 24th March 6-9pm)
Fri 24 March 2017, 18:00 – 21:00 GMT
Want to learn how to sew and make gorgeous things - and no idea where to start? Maybe your skills are a bit rusty and you need a refresher course?
Great news - this is the class for you!
We teach you all you need to know to get started on a sewing machine - and you will be able to start your own simple projects on your own.
What will I learn?
* Threading a machine
* What do all the buttons / dials mean?
* The attachments and feet of the machine
* The bobbin: threading and using it and how it works in the machine
* Thread tension - what it is and how it affects the machine
* Stitch length and formation - how to do different stitches
* Sew straight lines - backtacking, how to recognise a strong stitch
* Understand seam allowances
* The grainline & basic fabric technology
* Essential cutting skills
In this course you will master the machine and take away your fabulous bespoke cushion, and once you have understood the basics you could enrol onto our other courses making a whole array of stunning designs.......
What do I bring?
* Please bring 0.6 metres of a printed cotton or upholstery fabric (Minimum width 115cm) - a plain weave which will be easy to sew - no drapey or fiddley fabrics!
* A spool of matching thread
* Trim to decorate - show us your designer flair!
What do we provide?
* We will give you 3 hours of in depth tuition in a beautiful working womanswear design studio - be taught by industry professionals, learning industry techniques.
* We provide all sewing machines, equipment.
* You will take away your cushion sewing pattern - yours to keep and use again.
* We have unlimited tea, coffee, cake and sweet treats for you to enjoy while sewing.
How many in class?
* We can teach 5 in class maximum - classes are small so loads of tutor time with each student.
* This is such a fun class to do with a pal or family member - come to class together!
* £40 for this 3 hour fast-track workshop, you will leave not only with a fabulous bespoke design - also able to use a sewing machine confidently - get ready to start on loads of other sewing projects!
Where are we?
Conway Mill, near central Belfast, lots of parking.
Tutors: Classes are taught by maryRose, Julie or jude - all designers / makers who work in fashion and costume throughout NI/ROI.
Why come to our classes?
DESIGN, CREATE, SEW, INSPIRE - we love all things to do with sewing and fashion design!
By joining our classes, you will learn to sew in an actual fashion design studio which is used daily by MaryRose and her talented team creating many stunning designs every year. You will surrounded by her exquisite fabrics, dreamy trims and all the sewing equipment you could think of.........and best of all - you will learn from those who live it as a career.
MaryRose is a multi award winning womanswear & bridal designer, who has worked for many high street and international brands during her years spent in the London fashion industry. Oasis, M&S, Debenhams, Matthew Williamson & Jasper Conran are just a few of the well known labels she has enjoyed designing for to date.
She also works as a freelance fashion trend forecaster - by forecasting up to 18 months in advance, she always has her finger on the pulse of the fashion industry!
When possible, MaryRose also works in costume, and recently spent time working in Game Of Thrones Principal Costume Department. She also is a part time & guest lecturer on the fashion and design courses at the University Of Ulster and Belfast Met.
*********************************************IMPORTANT PLEASE READ BELOW************************************************
UPON BOOKING, PLEASE E MAIL YOUR NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
(We may need to contact you before class, and your details are not provided by this booking agent)
STUDIO NUMBER: 02895 215 683
* PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME - this is very important as tuition starts on time and the first hour is most important.
* Late arrivals cause huge disruption to class & students attending, and therefore if you are 30 minutes late or more, it will not be possible to join the class, (the class will not be refunded).
* Classes are non refundable if cancelled 14 days before the event.
Please call and e mail us on email@example.com to inform us if you are inable to attend a class. If you cancel with little notice and within the 14 day notice period, you can send a friend in your place.
* We are not held responsible for those who have booked onto a class which is too advanced for their skills - skill requirements are listed specifically in each advert - it is the students responsibility to be able to sew at the required level.
PLEASE READ ALL REQUIREMENTS AND ENSURE YOU ARE CAPABLE OF WORKING TO THE LEVEL REQUIRED AND STIPULATED FOR CLASS.
Should you book on a course which is not the correct level for you, we can swop you onto another class, provided you let us know within 14 days of the class starting, as we need this time to fill the space.
* Students to attend alone - please do not bring friends / children.
* In exceptional circumstances we may have to cancel a Workshop. If this happens we will give you as much notice as possible and will try to accommodate you on a different date, or refund your fee paid, whichever you prefer. We do not accept liability for travel or other costs.