Actions and Detail Panel
Introduction To Portrait Photography
Sun 21 May 2017, 10:30 – 16:30 BST
This course is hosted by Capture great Photos and Run by Award winning artist and photographer Jamie House.Jamie is a qualified and experienced Tutor with a PGCE and teaches nationwide.
To date Jamie`s work has appeared in publications and exhibitions worldwide and he has talked at the photographer gallery London about hs work.
Jamie's work has appered in:
New Scientist magazine (UK), Daily Telegraph (UK), PHOTO ARTS Book (USA), QUAD book project (UK),Peep Contemporary Art Magazine, Ersatz Camera Work Catalogue (CA), Supermassive Black Hole Photographic Journal (UK), Blotbook, GUP Photography Journal (NL), Recycle Art Catalogue (BX), London Independent Photography Magazine (UK), Without Lenses (USA),Inscape Magazine (UK) Umter (DE) Excerpt Magazine (AU)
This fun and exciting course will explore the different ways in which we can use professional lighting and photographic equipment capture great photographs on location with a professional model.
On this course you will learn and/or have an introduction to:
• The basics of portraiture composition.
• Look at the underlying principles of light such as: Quality, Quantity, Colour, Contrast and Direction, how to recognise, appreciate and ultimately control it, using daylight and professional portable lighting kit.
• Get hands on experience of setting up and shooting in different location lighting scenarios, including the standard “one light” set ups such as: Rembrandt, Loop, Butterfly, Broad and Split lighting.
• Develop practical understanding of typical lighting set ups, from one light to three light scenarios, including the concepts of “key” light, fill, rim and background lighting.
• Have an introduction to metering and location flash.
• Work with a professional Model and explore different ways of posing and positioning the subject, including head shots and full length shots, and the principles of: Profile, Three quarter, Direct and Seven eighths head positions.
• Have an opportunity to explore how we can shoot successful portraits using natural light, including such considerations as depth of field, lens choice and posing outside of a studio environment.
• An understanding of how different focal lengths can totally alter the nature, expression and, ultimately, even the intention behind a photographic portrait.
• You will leave the course with an appreciation of just how broadly the term portraiture may be interpreted.
What to expect on the day?
Explore the concepts behind photographic portraiture, the equipment and methods used in portrait photography.
Next will be a guided hands on workshop with a professional model, tips on lens choice, composition, metering and how to control flash in different studio lighting scenarios.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who is looking for new directions for their photography, would like to enhance their technical and creative skills, or maybe thinking of purchasing own flash lights and would like to have an introduction to location flash and flash metering.
It is assumed that those attending will have a basic knowledge of photography and have an understanding of aperture, shutter speeds and exposure, or have already attended our Beginners DSLR or Intensive DSLR courses.
Your own DSLR camera
We have limited availability of 50mm f1.8 lenses for Nikon and Canon and offer free hire.
If you have a range of lenses please email us after making a booking and we will recommend best lenses for this course.
Good walking shoes and a a thirst to learn and have fun!
Price £28.00 for the whole day and acess to digital learning resources plus 15% off your next course with Capture Great Photos.