A one-day training workshop on the practicalities of managing peer review and research grants in medical research charities
About this event
In this workshop for new research administrators and research managers and charities new to AMRC, we cover:
- Awarding grants - the AMRC principles of peer review
- How medical research charities make those principles work in their organisations
- Involving patients and the public in peer review
- Managing grants and monitoring progress
- Methods of evaluating the impact of research
You’ll also get a chance to meet others working in your field, and become part of our network of research managers and administrators.
Who's it for?
Research grant managers and administrators working in member charities and related organisations.
|10.00am||Welcome||Dr Sara Ellis, head of member engagement and communications, AMRC|
|10.35am||Session 1: The theory of peer review|
|AMRC principles of peer review||Dr Liz Philpots, head of research, AMRC|
|Changes to AMRC animal research policy||Dr Martin Turner, senior policy officer, AMRC|
|11.30am||Session 2: Incoming applications and managing peer review|
|Receiving a grant application - what do I do next?||Dr Andy Clempson, research policy manager, AMRC|
|Peer review in practice - finding external reviewers and managing a peer review panel||Dr Madina Kara, research awards manager, Stroke Association|
|Involving patients and the public||Dr Katherine Reekie, research liaison officer, Arthritis Research UK|
|1.30pm||Session 3: Monitoring and evaluation|
|Monitoring your grant portfolio||Dr Helen Rippon, head of science, and Debbie Wheelans, grant manager, AICR|
|Using Researchfish||Dr Sanjay Thakrar, research adviser, British Heart Foundation|
|2.45pm||Session 4:Data and impact|
|Retrospective analysis - evaluating past projects||Dr Katie Le Blond, research development manager, Parkinson's UK|
|Quinquennial review||Dr Andy Clempson, research policy manager, AMRC|
- You can request a refund though your Eventbrite account.
- Credit cannot be transferred between events, you may cancel and book on a different event.
- If you cancel more than 10 working days before the event, we will issue a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 10 working days before the event, we will issue a partial refund and charge you £40.
- Please note, if the order was placed more than six months ago, your card details will no longer be stored with Eventbrite. AMRC can issue an offline refund, which will incur an admin fee of £40.
When & Where
Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC)
AMRC is the national membership organisation of leading medical and health research charities.