Actions and Detail Panel
Invitation to £15m Innovate UK competition briefing
Wed 19 October 2016, 14:00 – 16:00 BST
The Knowledge Transfer Network, in partnership with Innovate UK, will be hosting a series of events across the UK to discuss Innovate UK's forthcoming competition ‘Emerging and Enabling Technologies’.
This briefing is being brought to the North East by Dynamo North East, The Digital Institute at Newcastle University and Sunderland Software City and is being hosted in Newcastle by the The Digital Institute at The Core.
The Innovate UK Emerging and Enabling Technologies programme identifies, and invests in, new technologies and capabilities. The aim is to inspire the new products, processes and services of tomorrow – those with the potential to create billion-pound industries and disrupt existing markets.
- An emerging technology is one that is taking its first steps out of the research base. It disrupts existing markets and the first-to-market company can attract more customers and find new income sources.
- Enabling technologies underpin the development of high-value products and services in many industrial sectors and markets (cross-cutting/cross-disciplinary). They improve performance and productivity.
What is the opportunity?
Innovate UK are to invest up to £15m in business led, innovative projects to help businesses broaden out innovation activities, to find new sources of revenue from new products, processes or services.
- harness E&E technologies across the economy
- develop and scale-up research and development to bring ideas, processes and products closer to availability at scale and commercial release
- use design processes to understand customer motivations and behavior and use that insight gained to create better products, services and processes
Innovate UK are looking to fund a portfolio of projects that include:
- technical feasibility
- industrial research
- experimental development
Projects must clearly show high-growth, potential innovations in one or more of the following areas:
- any emerging technology that can demonstrate a step change in performance and the potential to disrupt existing industrial approaches; we are particularly looking to fund projects in energy harvesting, imaging technologies, graphene or biofilms
- any enabling technology in: satellite applications, electronics, sensors, photonics, digital, Internet of Things (IoT), data, cybersecurity, virtual or augmented reality and distributed ledger technology.
The event will include:
- an opportunity to hear about the scope of the competition in more detail
- an opportunity to network and develop cross sector partnerships for the competition
- an opportunity to meet with Innovate UK for 1:1 discussion about the competition
We look forward to seeing you there.