Actions and Detail Panel
IOSH Directing Safely
Wed 15 February 2017, 09:00 – 16:00 GMT
Protecting the Health and Safety of employees or members of the public who may be affected by your activities is an essential part of Risk Management and must be led by the Board.
Failure to include Health and Safety as a key business risk in Board decisions can have catastrophic results; many high profile safety cases over the years have been rooted in the failures of leadership.
This 1-day course reflects the principles set out in the Institute of Directors (IoD) and the Health and Safety Executive Guidance INDG 417 “Leading Health and Safety at Work”.
Who Should Attend?
This course is aimed specifically at senior management with accountability for health and safety as well as those with the responsibility of putting effective health and safety into practice within their organisations.
Those attending will:
- Have an understanding of their responsibilities and accountabilitie with respect to Health and Safety Law.
- Understand the principles of the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act and how they would be applied to an organisation.
- Gain practical guidance and suggestions on effective risk management with the potential to improve the productivity of the workforce; improve the quality of the output and reduce costs.
Through attending this course, individuals will:
- Understand the Health and Safety role of Directors and those in Senior Management and the difference between a Leader and a Manager in terms of Health and Safety.
- Know the consequences of failing to manage Health and Safety effectively.
- Recognise the importance of integrating health and safety objectives with other business objectives to minimise the overall risk.
- Be able to take into account Health and Safety aspects during strategic planning, decision making and effective supply chain management.
All training materials associated with this course have been externally approved and accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety Health (IOSH) – the world’s largest health and safety professional membership organisation.
At the end of the training, individuals will complete a multiple choice exam paper and upon successful completion will receive an IOSH Directing Safely certificate.