- Constraints on doing business. And the solutions available.
- Costs and penalties.
- The mysterious cloud.
- Your personal responsibility if you are a Data Protection Officer.
In this talk, David Fagan will explain how the GDPR will operate, and what business have to do in order to be practically compliant, whilst at the same time preserving the ability to do business.
Concepts such as Privacy by Design, Privacy by Default, the Right to be Forgotten etc. will be explained in straightforward language.
David Fagan is a commercial lawyer. He was previously a partner in the largest international commercial law firm in Ireland, a law firm with offices in 47 locations around the globe, and with 200 staff in Ireland. He has established the data privacy unit, the employment law unit and the health and safety unit of that firm in Dublin. He then set up own consultancy practice in conjunction with a number of other equally experienced lawyers and professionals, Business Legal.
Some of the matters that David has been involved in are:
* Managing multi-jurisdictional privacy projects across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
* Dealing with transactional privacy work, access requests, due diligence etc.
* Dealing with Data Privacy issues and prosecutions in the Courts, and with investigations by the Data Protection Commissioner’s Office.
* Advising on practical matters such as Privacy notices, storage issues, dealing with the DPC, transferring data to non-EU servers, marketing restrictions and the entire range of non-contentious matters that arise in a Privacy compliance context.
* Providing legal Opinions on whether or not a particular practice or method of operation is lawful from a Privacy law perspective.
* Auditing businesses at their request to ascertain their Privacy Law compliance.
* Supporting and assisting business, public bodies and other organizations to be as efficient and cost effective as is legally or commercially possible.
* Supporting one of the EU’s institutions with regard to its Data Privacy compliance in Greece.
David is pleased to be a sounding board for organizations, and welcomes both legal and practical questions, and is happy to provide practical guidance and advice.