Junior Adventure Day
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM (BST)
This course mostly about having fun but it will also give your child the skills and confidence to fully embrace the outdoors. The youths shall learn the basic elements of survival; food, water,shelter and warmth. It will be a busy day starting with a short hike to the woodland base and then straight to work creating a wild bush camp.
This course is suitable for 8-14yr olds. (Younger children can be accommodated, please call 07973802620) .
By the end of the day each youth should be able to :-
- Use a fishing rod and hopefully catch a fish.
- Identify a number of plants and understand there uses (edible and medicinal).
- Build a basic shelter from sticks.
- Start and manage a small fire.
- Identify sources of drinking water and make safe.
- Understand the basics of natural navigation.
- Safely use an axe and saw
- We finish with games and marshmallows
Instruction is delivered by Ian Macfarlane. Ian has been a Summer Mountain Leader for 20yrs and been trained and assessed as "Competant in Basic Bushcraft" as defined by the IOL(Institute of Outdoor Learning).
Risk Assessments are available upon request. On booking you will be asked to sign a Risk Awareness form and provide emergency contact details. We have Public Liability Insurance.
Risk Awareness /Waiver
Any Outdoor Activity has inherent risks. “Do It Outdoors” staff can not remove all the risks however we shall advice and instruct in a manner that minimises these risks and their potential impacts. (Risk Assessment Available on request).
Bring food to make up your lunch (There will be an ample supply of beans).
Sturdy Shoes/boots or wellies
A small bag or back pack to accomodate the above gear
- Juice & drinking Water
- Tea /Coffee for Adults
- Biscuits and beans
- Composting Toilet
- Meet in the Cafe the Auchingarrich Wildlife Centre
- Pick up at the Cafe at the end of the day