Actions and Detail Panel
Kathak Dance: 8 Week Beginners Course for Women
Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 18:30 – Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 20:30 BST
Dates and Venue:
27th April – 15th June (8 sessions)
Pembroke House, 80 Tatum St, London SE17 1QR
What is Kathak Dance?
Kathak dance is an ancient North Indian dance form that has experienced a renaissance in recent years. It embraces both Hindu and Muslim traditions – which makes it unique. It is the root from which the Spanish Flamenco tradition evolved.
Kathak is a story-telliing art form using movement, expression and gesture. Utilising spins, percussive rhythmic footwork with ankle bells, and a ‘vocabulary’ of hand gestures.
What benefits you will experience:
- The story-telling is a gentle, cathartic and therapeutic way to express inner-most emotions
- You will learn about another culture and its art forms
- The naturalistic movements and gestures give grace and positive body-image
- Percussive rhythms and footwork help release tension and stress
- Enjoyable physical exercise has been shown to improve mood and depression
- Learning together in a group aids sociability, spacial awareness and gives positive human connections
There will also be an optional chance to perform a short dance onstage for the Battersea Pagoda celebrations on June 17th. Again, this is entirely optional for participants, but is a wonderful opportunity for those interested in performing!
This is a women only workshop. Please wear loose, comfortable, light clothing and be prepared to dance in bare feet. Socks or tights cannot be worn. If you have any problems with these requirements – or have any physical disabilities – please contact CoolTan Arts to discuss. We aim to be inclusive to all abilities.
About the Tutor
Jill Newman has trained with Sushma Mehta for over 25 years, performed professionally with Shamaa Dance Co. and has been regularly teaching Kathak for 10 years.
To register please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / call us on 0207 701 2696