San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
If the mark of a great songwriter is the number of artists singing their songs – then Kieran Halpin must be considered a great modern writer of songs. There can be few writers on the acoustic/folk scene in Europe today who have had more songs covered. Names like Vin Garbutt, Dolores Keane, The Battlefield Band, Ilse De Lange, John Wright, Flossie, Niamh Parsons, Chris Jones and countless more have recorded his songs. His songs can be heard in folk clubs, pubs and festivals all over the world sung by the famous and not so famous. Often the songs are better known than the writer himself! Some have been translated into German, Finnish and Spanish!
2011 saw the release of his 20th album – the devil and his dealing – a remarkable achievement over a 33 year recording career – consistently prolific and artistically inventive. The new CD has 11 new songs and as one reviewer remarked “……there’s plenty of material here to be plundered.”
Whilst his albums are always something to look forward to it is live on stage where Halpin makes his mark. Powerful and passionate, intimate and intense, he is impossible to ignore. He has managed to marry his intelligent and thought provoking lyrics with great melodies and has developed over the years into a writer with a unique style. All this is underscored by an incisive wit in his introductions which helps an audience understand where the song comes from and hint at where it might be going. He is equally at home playing to a small folk club audience and a large festival crowd. He is also one of the hardest touring musicians on the scene today with upwards of 160 shows per year all over the world.
What the critics say:
“Wonderful stage presence and surprising humour”
“Every song has a story and every lyric paints that story clearly”
“Halpin is one of the country’s most intelligent writers”
“He has a voice that sells the songs and cuts to the heart”
“Thought provoking lyrics and memorable melodies”
“These songs made me think, laugh and cry – all in one evening”
Support comes from Sheffield-based multi-instrumentalist Michael J Tinker, whose repertoire includes guitar, concertina, stompbox and an array of cigar box guitars. In 2012 Michael recorded "Shores of Amerikay", with friend of LAAH Kat Gilmore as well as the Incredible Washboard Pete II, Geth Griffith and John Ellis. Michael will bring us his "folk tales for the 21st Century" before he heads off on tour with Gilmore & Roberts. Check out his songs at http://regathermusic.bandcamp.com/
Tickets £7 advance £9 on the door
When & Where
LIVE AT ALL HALLOWS
We are a bunch of friends who run gigs together in a friendly, acoustically wonderful open & diverse church in Hyde Park Leeds. We like music and musicians and wanted to hear even more live. Come and join us?
We tweet at @liveatallhallow
Facebook page www.facebook.com/allhallows.gigs
Spotify playlist at http://open.spotify.com/user/stevethack/playlist/78jsQHUrIS8Cf2IrVyd2ON
Email us at: liveatallhallows (at) gmail (dot) com
Note that eventbrite is an electronic ticketing service: you WILL NOT BE SENT A PAPER TICKET in the post. You will receive an email with a pdf ticket attached; in order to reduce paper waste we'd encourage you to use the eventbrite app or bring the confirmation email on a smart phone, or alternatively bring your order number and the name in which the tickets were purchased. Thanks..
Ticket Terms and Conditions for Live At All Hallows:
- Right of admission reserved.
- We reserve the right to refuse admission, or eject from the venue, any person who disrupts the event in any way.
- No alcoholic drinks may be brought into the venue.
- No illegal substances may be brought into the venue. Anyone caught in possession of these substances will be ejected and the police will be called.
- In the event of cancellation, only the face value of the ticket will be refunded.
- Tickets cannot be exchanged, refunded or returned unless the event is cancelled, moved to another date, or if details of the event are significantly changed after a ticket is purchased (significant changes being a change of headline act or venue).
- Tickets may be transferred to another name with the agreement of the promoter. Contact us via Eventbrite.
- No professional type audio-visual recording equipment maybe brought into the venue without authorisation.
- Ticket holders agree to appear for no fee in any filming or recording of the event attended.
- The venue will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of personal belongings.
- No electronic cigarettes or similar allowed in the venue.