San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Launch Event: Audit of Political Engagement 9, Part Two:
The Media and Politics
18:30, Thursday 12 July
Attlee Suite, Portcullis House
The media claim to play a critical role in our democracy, shining a bright light on those in power on behalf of the public. But in the context of that place in our democracy, what role and responsibilities, if any, do they have in relation to political engagement?
After a turbulent year for politics and the media the implications for public perceptions of politics and our democracy will be explored in part two of our Audit of Political Engagement to be launched on Thursday 12 July in Parliament. The authors of the report will be joined by a panel of experts to debate the key findings.
- Robert Colvile - Columnist and Leader Writer, Daily Telegraph
- Esther McVey MP - PPS to Chris Grayling and former broadcaster
- Kevin Maguire - Associate Editor, Politics, Daily Mirror
- Professor Gerry Stoker - Award-winning author of Why Politics Matters
- Dr Ruth Fox - Research Director, Hansard Society
- Fiona Booth (Chief Executive, Hansard Society)
When & Where
Founded in 1944, the Hansard Society is a charity working in the UK and around the world to promote democracy and strengthen parliaments. An independent, non-partisan political research and education Society, our work is rooted in the belief that the health of representative democracy rests on the foundation of a strong Parliament and an informed and engaged citizenry.