Actions and Detail Panel
Laying The Foundations For Powerful Strategic Planning Workshop
Wed 10 May 2017, 09:30 – 13:00 BST
10th May | 9.30 am – 1:00 pm – Are you trying to develop a new strategy for your organisation? Are you struggling to get everyone to agree on the best way to prioritise opportunities, use your resources and generate income?
Developing your organisation’s strategy is never easy. Strong personalities, differing opinions and entrenched views can become a barrier to objective decision-making, hampering your ability to grow, diversify and innovate. Our half-day workshop, specifically designed for professional membership associations, charities and not-for-profit organisations, will give you a strong framework for developing a robust and effective strategy and a toolkit of powerful decision-making techniques. This will enable you to:
- Sharpen your strategic clarity through “enhanced SWOT analysis” (see below).
- Ensure that you’ve considered potential future developments in your industry when forming your strategy.
- Segment your key stakeholders, audiences or customers into different strategic groups in order to prioritise relationship-building effectively.
- Ensure that all participants in important decision-making processes are reflective and honest about their motivations.
Enhanced SWOT analysis: most people know the basics about SWOT analysis but few people have seen it done well. When planning their strategy, many organisations do a basic SWOT analysis in a rushed, unstructured way, then set it aside without a clear understanding of how to use it to make important decisions. We’ll show you how to do an enhanced SWOT analysis like never before and make it a thought-provoking, objective and inclusive exercise for all involved.
Who should attend?
- Directors and managers of professional membership bodies, charities and other not-for-profits with responsibility for strategic planning for organisations or business units.
A previous workshop attendee said:
“A very enjoyable, clear and practical workshop giving an in-depth introduction and guidance on how to make good strategic decisions. The presentations were informative and interesting, and we were then able to put the knowledge gained into practice with plenty of group exercises and discussions. I feel that I’ve come away with a lot of useful information and — even better — a good set of tools.”
Speakers: Mike Zywina and Piers Horner
Mike Zywina runs Lime Green Consulting, a strategic consultancy for smaller charities, and has wide experience in the charity sector as a fundraiser, senior manager and trustee. He’s organised successful strategic decision-making workshops in partnership with the School for Social Entrepreneurs, MemNet and the Small Charities Coalition.
Piers Horner uses his experience gained from working as a Government analyst to help organisations improve their approach to strategic decision-making. He’s an expert in Operational Research, which is sometimes referred to as “the science of decision-making” and takes an analytical approach to making decisions and solving problems.