Actions and Detail Panel
Leathercraft Workshop Retreat in Tuscany
Sun, 28 Aug 2016, 16:00 – Thu, 1 Sep 2016, 12:00 CEST
Get away and get crafty this August - with a five-day creative retreat in Italy. As well as designing and making your own bag, and stitching it by hand under the watchful eye of craftswoman Candice Lau, you will have the chance to visit traditional Santa Croce tanneries to see where the leather originates, and truly see the story of your product from start to finish. All this surrounded by Italian countryside, eating local cuisine on a traditional Tuscan farm-stay.
Five day trip to the Tuscan village of Impruneta
Sunday 28th August - 1st Sept 2016
- Pre-trip guidance on designing your bag - at an evening (6-9pm) workshop in East London on 17th August
- Stay in the small historical Tuscan town of Impruneta, 30 minutes south of Florence.
- Private ensuite rooms at the Hotel Bellavista Impruneta
- Bed, breakfast & dinner all included
- All evening meals - locally sourced and cooked by in-house chef, with produce from Bellavista’s own bakery, vineyard and sausage factory
- Trip to a Santa Croce tannery - a part of Consorzio Vera Pelle Italiana
- Leather selected from our tannery visit.
- Bus transfer from Florence centre to Impruneta on arrival and departure
- Bus service from Impruneta to tannery
Price does not include
- Flights and travel insurance NOT included. Closest airports are Florence or Pisa.
- Lunch each day is out in the town of Impruneta (approx €10-€15)
“I have been working in leather craft for the past 3 years and have honed my skills travelling across Europe and Asia. But it is in Italy where I have found the most appreciation for the art; using century-old techniques and working with beautifully tanned leather. This is where my love for the craft grew. But outside the workshops, life has also led me to an Italian husband, who shares my creative enthusiasm and instilling in me a love of the Italian lifestyle; at it's heart family, food and art. And that's what I'd like to share with guests on this short course." - Candice Lau, Founder, Kuku Big Bag
Guests need to arrive in Florence town centre (exact location TBC) by 4pm of Sunday 28th August. Candice will be there to welcome you to take us back to Impruneta and suggest short local walks and host a welcome meal.
Breakfast is served from 8am at Hotel Bellavista Impruneta and includes coffee, juices, and pastries.
Dinner is served every evening from 8pm and includes 3 courses of Italian cuisine which normally comprises of a first plate (prima) of pasta, a second plate (seconda) of meat or fish, and a dessert.
Please notify us if you have any special dietary requirements.
Sunday 28th August: Pick up from Florence and bus transfer to Impruneta. A welcome meal will be served at 8pm.
Monday 29th August: Guests will visit the tannery in the morning. After lunch, they will return to Impruneta and assist in setting out the workshop, and start laying out their patterns and leather, ready to be cut.
Tuesday 30th August & Wednesday 31st August: The workshop is hosted by Candice at from 9am til 6pm, with a short break for lunch in Impruneta. There will be breaks throughout the day, free time before dinner to relax, or take a short walk around the surrounds of the village.
Thursday 1st September: The morning is your chance to relax, enjoy the local area, take a short bike ride, visit the vineyard, or make any finishing touches to your bag. Check out from the farm is at midday.