Are you a builder or student, would you like to know more about working with historic buildings and the use of lime mortar? Sign up to this FREE course on the use of lime mortar at Anglia Lime.
The course will provide an introduction to the benefits of using lime mortars and plasters in historic buildings. It will focus on the consequences of using incorrectly specified cement-based mortars and renders and the benefits of lime-based plasters in historic buildings. It will include practical demonstrations of mixing and using lime based mixes and how to apply them correctly. The course will cover the following:
- Historical use of lime: Mining, firing, The lime cycle
- Considering the substrate: Strength, vapour permeability, controlling suction
- Hydraulic Vs Non-Hydraulic: Hydraulic set, carbonation set, properties of both
- Choosing the right material: Purpose, matching to existing mortars
- Benefits of Lime Pointing: Porosity,elasticity,selfhealing & sacrificial properties
- Harmful aspects of cement: Detrimental effect to fabric and adjacent materials
- Benefits of lime plasters vs harmful effects of cement rendering
- Sand Vs Chalk aggregates: Flexibilty required in timber framed buildings
- Innovations: Benefits of fibres, benefits of DryReadymixes
- Finishes: Limewashes
Refreshments: Lunch will be provided.
Safety: Safety goggles and gloves will be provided. Suitable clothing/overalls must be worn and provided by attendees.