Actions and Detail Panel
Long-form journalism: A one-day workshop with Guardian writer Will Storr
Sat, February 11, 2017, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM GMT
Transform your ability to write a great feature at this masterclass with multi-award-winning journalist Will Storr
Whether you’re at the beginning of your journalism career, or want to brush up your technique, this masterclass will transform your writing abilities. Led by multi-award-winning journalist Will Storr, the class covers the essential skills of feature writing – from pitching story ideas to editors to crafting compelling articles for different publications.
During the class, you’ll develop an idea for a story you want to write, with opportunities for feedback during the class. Plus, you’ll receive insider advice on the business of freelancing, including tips on the journalism industry and how to get paid for your work. Book your place now and spend the day soaking up insights from one of the Guardian and Observer’s most talented feature writers.
- An overview of the different types of features
- Planning your reporting and carrying out research
- Advice on obtaining and carrying out interviews
- The principles of structure – including the three-act technique
- How to pitch story ideas to editors
- How to tailor your writing to different publications and audiences
- The business of writing – how to get paid for your work
- Practical exercise with opportunity for feedback – how to turn your idea into a compelling feature for a specific title
- Q&A and discussion
- You’re encouraged to bring along an idea for a feature that you want to write, which you’ll work on during the class. Alternatively, you can bring along a piece of longform writing that you’re struggling with
Will Storr is a multi-award-winning long-form journalist. He’s written for Guardian Weekend, The New Yorker, Observer Magazine and The Sunday Times Magazine, among other publications. He’s also a contributing editor at Esquire magazine and GQ Australia. Will has been named New Journalist of the Year and Feature Writer of the Year, and in 2012 was presented with the One World Press award. Find out more on his website.