In conjunction with Harrow Communities Click, this autumn, Recycle for London will be focusing on promoting re-use and repair. As part of this focus, West London Waste Authority (WLWA) will be working with the ‘Love Your Clothes’ campaign to run a number of 3 hour sewing workshops across our west London boroughs of Brent, Ealing, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow and Richmond upon Thames.
Annually in the UK we throw away roughly 2 million tonnes of clothing and textiles worth over £150 million. Unfortunately, most of this ends up being incinerated or landfilled which is a waste of money, resources and is also damaging to the environment. Learning to repair or re-use items of clothing is a valuable skill that can ultimately help us reduce our textile waste.
The sewing workshops will focus on sharing basic repair skills to extend the life of your clothes. They will also provide an excellent opportunity to repair or re-fashion your pre-loved items and meet like-minded people to share these skills and knowledge with, regardless of ability.
Sewing Workshop Overview
Learn some simple techniques, tips and tricks on how to repair and alter your clothes, making them lead a longer life and give you more enjoyment and comfort! (No sewing experience needed)
2 hour sewing lesson to learn key skills such as:
- Simple alterations: how to lift or lengthen a hem or change a waistline
- Sew on missing buttons and make buttonholes
- Replace a broken zip
- Quick fixes: repair a tear or re-thread cords/elasticated areas
- Mend and darn holes discreetly or in a show off fashion!
1 hour ‘Sewing Surgery' Sewcial!
- Opportunity to ask questions
- Bring in some of your own garments for advice
- Look through some examples of transformed garment
- Meet new people!