Actions and Detail Panel
Lyric-writing: A one-day workshop with Chris Difford
Sat, January 21, 2017, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM GMT
Learn the art and craft of writing song lyrics with Ivor Novello Award-winning lyricist Chris Difford, founding member of Squeeze
Good lyrics are the key to making a song connect with an audience by imbuing it with an emotional heart. Great lyrics will even drive a song’s melody and tone. During this practical course with award-winning Squeeze lyricist Chris Difford, you’ll explore and experiment with various lyrical perspectives and techniques, enabling you to develop a personal style of expression.
During this inspiring one-day course, you’ll learn how the best lyrics are true to the writer, conveying ideas and emotions that are personal to them. Whether your head is in the clouds, the kitchen sink or the gutter, Chris will help you to use your own feelings and experiences to write lyrics that will resonate with listeners and add new depth to your music.
- Introduction to lyric-writing
- Using the imagination and fictional writing to inspire your lyrics
- Musical structure and presentation – with show and tell
- Developing your own personal style and form of expression
- Practical lyric-writing workshops
- Songwriting exercises with accompanying instruments
What to bring
- No formal qualifications are required to take part in this course, however an ability to play a musical instrument is advantageous
- You are encouraged to bring an instrument along if you wish, but it is not essential to take part in the class or benefit from it
Chris Difford is a founder member of Squeeze and the lyricist behind classic songs such as Up the Junction, Black Coffee in Bed and Pulling Mussels (From the Shell). He is the winner of numerous awards, including two Ivor Novellos, one of which was for Outstanding Contribution to Music. Chris also teaches songwriting at Brighton Music College. He tweets @chrisdifford.