San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Making your own clothes is about learning to BE YOURSELF. Choose your own fabric; fit it to your own unique body; express your own unique style. If you're tired of wearing low quality, ill-fitting and generic hi-street clothing, then this course is your opportunity to break from the herd.
Led by Alison Drever, this is a 10 week, in-depth introduction to making your own clothing. The course is intended to equip you with a comprehensive set of basic skills that you can develop and apply to a range of clothing types. Learn how to use a sewing machine, work with paper patterns, and understand different fabrics. Practice basic techniques on small samples, then apply them to constructing a 'toile' (a prototype garment). Finally, make your own unique garment from our pattern selection in a fabric of your choice.
Skill Level & The Studio
This is a Pure Beginner level course, which means it's suitable for absolute beginners, or anyone with limited experience who wants to firm up the basics. Our studio has a sewing machine available for each student; although you can bring your own if you like. And don't worry if you might miss one or two classes: we've plenty of opportunities to catch up through our Sunday Sewing Sessions, machine rental, or private tuition.
- A basic set of sewing skills; a basic understanding of how to make clothes; and the confidence to go on and try more.
- An item of clothing made by you, to fit your body and in the fabric and style of your choice.
- A sample book, made by you and full of the techniques you've learned as part of the course. Use this for future reference.
- A Making Clothes for Beginners e-book for future reference.
Choosing Your Pattern
When you come to book, you'll be asked to select the garment you would like to make during this course. Take a look at our Pattern Selection Guide to help you decide. If you're not sure, just get in touch to discuss it with us.
When you come to book your place online, you'll be given the opportunity to add a Stitchery Sewing Kit to your basket. These are also available to order from our studio or the Student Resource section at a later date. The kits include everything you'll need to get started on your sewing journey. And we've chosen only high quality sewing products, recommended by us. Included in each kit is:
- 21cm Soft Grip Fabric Scissors, by Fiskars
- Baby Bow embroider scissors, by Merchant & Mills
- Glassheaded Pins x 100, by Merchant & Mills
- Finest Sewing Needs x 25, by Merchant & Mills
- Seam Ripper, by Merchant & Mills
- Tape Measure, by Merchant & Mills
- Sewing Gauge, by Merchant & Mills
- Fabric Marking Pencils, by Clover
- Optional - Makers Workbook for £10 extra (RRP £12.50)
Each kit is £45 or £55 including the Makers Workbook. This is a handy workbook where you can keep notes on all your sewing projects.