The one day BPS Accredited course will benefit anyone wishing to know more about self-harming behaviours.
Aims of the course
The course will provide you with tools to work with people who self-harm on an ongoing basis. You will learn more about how to support people who self-harm; learn to understand why they do it and how to bring the behaviour under control. A harm minimisation approach underpins our work. The aim is not to make people stop, but to support them to find coping skills that will enable them to face any underlying issues thereby reducing the risk of permanent or fatal damage and relapse.
Objectives of the course
Participants will learn to:
- Understand why each individual self-harms
- Understand what harm minimisation means
- Understand theories trying to explain self-harm
- Understand the links between self-harm and suicide
- Understand useful tools to develop alternatives to self-harm.