This one-day masterclass is designed for people who want to learn about Health Impact Assessment (HIA) and the ways in which it can be used to add value to the development and implementation of public policy, programmes and projects.
By the end of the masterclass, participants will have gained an understanding of and knowledge about the classic process of HIA and how it can be adapted to suit the circumstances of application. Participants will have an appreciation of how flexible HIA can be as an approach, and how it can be integrated into other impact assessments, such as environmental impact assessment or regulatory impact assessment.
Trainer and facilitator: Erica Ison, Specialist Practitioner in HIA and HiAP
- To familiarise participants with the concept of HIA, its relationship to other impact assessments, and its founding values
- To outline the traditional or classic process, the range of methods used and the skills required to conduct an HIA.
- To provide technical information about HIA as a methodology
- To discuss practical examples of the application of HIA in “real life” contexts and circumstances, and ways to manage some of the difficulties encountered
- To explore how HIA can be adapted to meet the requirements for the study within prevailing resource constraints
- To give participants experience of aspects of a participatory rapid appraisal workshop
Participants will have an understanding of:
- HIA as a methodology and how it can be used to identify potential impacts of on health of a range of proposals
- The basic process of HIA and how it can be adapted
- The methods used during HIA, including rapid appraisal techniques and listening to and involving the public and communities in improving health and reducing inequalities
- The role of HIA in support of decision-making about public policy at local, national and international levels
- The potential to integrate health or use elements of HIA in other types of impact assessment
Examples of practical scenarios that will be discussed and/or used as examples during interactive exercises.
- Mayoral strategies for London
- Redevelopment of the Shankill Housing Estate, Belfast
- Needle exchange services in Central London
- Redevelopment of the King’s Cross Opportunity Area