Actions and Detail Panel
May Meetup: ‘Faster than Lightning’ code talks
Thu 11 May 2017, 19:00 – 20:00 BST
Join us on Thursday 11th May for next ‘Faster than Lightning’ session - our informal meetup where developers present and share small snippets of code or workflow tips for discussion.
Date: Thursday 11th May
Time: 19:00 - 20:00 (beer, pizza and chat from 18:30)
Location: Unboxed HQ, 17 Blossom Street, London, E1 6PL
What is ‘Faster than Lightning’?
This is a series of very short (suggested up to around three minutes) and informal talks, based around a snippet of code that you found interesting or a tip about something that makes your life easier as a developer. We ask that each submission fits onto a single slide. Each talk is then followed by a casual chat within a friendly group.
(Please note: we will do our very, very best to allow everyone who submitted a snippet to present, but in order to keep the session within the allocated time (an 8pm finish), some attendees may have to leave if we carry over this time).
Here’s some more info about submissions:
- Code snippets can be your code or someone else’s, in any programming language, and can be anonymised
- A workflow tip may take the form of a UI screenshot or terminal command of an app or tool that you use. It may even be something that irritates you and you’d like to hear about how other developers approach it
- There is no such thing as a snippet or tip that is too simple or too basic - you’ll be among a friendly bunch of developers of all different experience levels and specialisms
- Your snippet can be something that you thought was good or something that you think could be improved (or something you’re having trouble with and you would like help with)
- The order of submissions is random and we will keep having presenters until we run out or 8pm, whichever is sooner
Previous snippets have included:
- A Rails view partial
- An RSpec file
- C code with function pointers
- A puppet server configuration file
- A single line of Ruby code in IRB
… and many more. More detailed examples can be seen in the blogs of past events:
- Faster than Lightning: November's Developer Event
- Faster than Lightning: September's Developer Event
- Faster than Lightning: July’s Developer Event
- Faster than Lightning: May’s Developer Event
How do I take part?
Taking part is simple:
- Register for your place
- Submit a short snippet of code or slide before the meetup to email@example.com
- Chat about your slide to the room for around 3+ minutes on the big screen
- Open this up to group discussion
- Sit back, drink beer, eat pizza, and enjoy the other submissions and chats