Actions and Detail Panel
Meetup: ‘Faster than Lightning’ code talks
Wed 8 February 2017, 18:30 – 19:30 GMT
Join us on Wednesday 8th February for ‘Faster than Lightning’ - an informal meetup where developers present and share snippets of code for discussion.
Usually run as a monthly internal Unboxed event, we are now throwing our doors open to include you, with the aim of sharing knowledge and ideas across the developer community.
Date: Wednesday 8th February 2017
Time: 18:30 - 19:30 (including beer and pizza)
Location: Unboxed HQ, 17 Blossom Street, London, E1 6PL
What is ‘Faster than Lightning’?
‘Faster than Lightning’ is a series of very short and informal talks (around three minutes each), based around a snippet of code that you find interesting and/or conversation-worthy. Each talk is then followed by a casual discussion across the group.
The idea is to get to know what other developers have been thinking about and doing, with code sharing as a talking point.
There are no rules around what you can submit (although we do recommend keeping your submission to a single screen’s length in order to be able to present this clearly). Code snippets can be your code or someone else’s, in any programming language, and can be anonymised.
There is no such thing as a snippet that is “too simple” or “too basic” - it can be a snippet that you thought was good or something that you think could be improved. It can also be something you’re having trouble with and you would like help with.
Examples of past code snippets include:
- A Rails view partial
- An RSpec file
- C code with function pointers
- A puppet server configuration file
- A single line of Ruby code in IRB
… and many more. Other examples of previous sessions can be seen here:
- Faster than Lightning: November's Developer Event
- Faster than Lightning: September's Developer Event
- Faster than Lightning: July’s Developer Event
- Faster than Lightning: May’s Developer Event
How do I take part?
Taking part is simple:
- Register for your place
- Submit a short snippet of code before the meetup to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it with you on the day
- Chat about your snippet to the room for around 3+ minutes on the big screen - the order of submissions is random
- Open this up to group discussion
- Sit back, drink beer, eat pizza and enjoy the other submissions