San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Mental Capacity: whose role is it anyway?
Where does the SLT fit and who else forms the MDT involved? Where do roles start and end?
A full study day focusing on mental capacity and the Mental Capacity Act (2005), advanced directives, power of attorney and deprivation of liberty and how these inform and influence the SLT role and remit. The day will consist of speakers from both legal and medical (AHP) fields and include Speech and Language Therapy based case studies and discussion groups.
- David Flood Lead Nurse Adult Safeguarding , St George’s Healthcare Trust
- Delfin Posada Partner and Head of Private client Department, Setfords Solicitors
- Speech and Language Therapist case presentations: Sukhi Aujla, (Speech Therapist, Camden Neuro & Stroke Service) Vicky Warner & Angela Posada, (Speech Therapists, St George’s Healthcare)
Presentations relevant to individual presenter’s Trust policy and procedure will be presented and put forward for discussion.
Opportunities for case discussion groups will be provided.
- To increase understanding of the legislation and policy in health care particularly the Mental Capacity Act (2005)
- To examine implications of legislation for SLTs in practice
- To develop knowledge of a number of approaches to supporting people who lack capacity in regards to managing their care, where the SLT role starts and also the remit of the role
- To support networking between colleagues in similar fields and very different fields and enable sharing of ideas
- To explore the impact of SLT intervention in supporting people with cognitive and communication difficulties and their families in making complex decisions about their care
Refunds – please note refunds will only be given at the committee’s discretion and should be requested at least 72 hours prior to the event.
Handouts - In order to keep costs to a minimum, we are not planning on providing handouts on the day but hope to email all presentations to all registered attendees 2 days prior to the study day. We hope you understand.
Lunch – lunch will be provided. Please inform us via email if you have specific dietary requirements.
When & Where
London Adult Neuro CEN (Speech Therapy)
Previously SIG Adult Neuro (SIGAN)