Actions and Detail Panel
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA Wales) Sept 2017
Tue, 12 Sep 2017, 09:30 – Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 16:30 BST
The MHFA training programme is an internationally recognised certification which has been delivered across the world for almost 17 years, and has formed a part of the Welsh Assembly Government’s strategy on addressing mental health issues in Wales.
The course content is closely monitored and refined regularly by the MHFA teams both locally in Wales and in Australia where the course originated, this ensures a consistent and high quality delivery across their international delivery team.
MHFA is a 2 day course, and is taught in a workshop style utilising videos, group work, skills practice, case studies, slides and activities. It covers key topics including: depression, suicide, anxiety disorders, self harm & psychotic disorders.
Course costs include a comprehensive, high-quality printed MHFA manual containing all information covered throughout the two days, official certficate, quick reference intervention card and handouts.
Attendees on the course will learn:
- The prevalence of mental health issues in Wales
- To recognise signs of depression, anxiety disorders, psychosis, self harm & suicide
- To apply the 5 step intervention of Mental Health First Aid
- How to respond if you believe someone is at risk of suicide
- How to give immediate help until professional help is available
- What to say and do in a crisis
- The importance of good listening skills
- Practice listening and responding
- Understanding recovery from mental health problems
- Understanding the connection between mental health problems and alcohol & drugs
- Understanding the connection between mental health problems and discrimination
- Information about common mental health problems
- How to signpost to professional support
- Self-help strategies
- The importance of self-care
It is important that delegates needs are catered to when attending such intensive training courses. This course is delivered in the USW Conference Centre; a modern and high quality venue easily accessible by train and road.
Free parking will be reserved for you, and complientary WiFi is available for those who require it.
Light refreshments throughout the two days are included as standard, consisting of:
- Unlimited tea, coffee, mineral water and fruit juices
- Morning snacks: mini Danish pastries, fresh fruit basket and biscuits
- Afternoon snacks: cake of the day, fresh fruit basket and biscuits
Note: Lunch is not included however there are multiple food outlets at the University which attendees will be directed towards.
If you have any questions about the 2 day Mental Health First Aid course or would like to clarify anything before booking on feel free to get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to get in touch on the above e-mail address if you should have any queries prior to booking. Refunds are unable to be given to those who change their mind about attending. If you become unable to attend this training date due to circumstances beyond your control you may be permitted to move your attendance to a future date. You should contact the organiser on email@example.com in this instance.
In the unlikley event that minimum bookings are not met a course may be canclled or postponed. You will be entitled to a refund under these circumstances.
Date and Time
USW Conference Centre
University of South Wales Treforest Campus