TRAINING FOR MENTORS
This interactive and empowering one-day course is aimed at equipping mentors (both experienced and prospective) with the knowledge, skills and mindset to provide a highly productive and beneficial mentoring process for the mentee (and a rewarding one for you, the mentor).
Mentoring is often defined as a professional relationship based on mutual trust in which an experienced and respected person (the mentor) shares his/her knowledge and experience with a less experienced colleague (the mentee) in developing his/her knowledge, learning, work-based skills, well-being, personal and professional development.
Increasingly, mentoring is being recognised as a helpful part of developing as a doctor and this course is an opportunity to gain essential skills to make mentoring highly effective for both mentor and mentee.
The content of the mentor training will cover the following:
- Mentoring: what it is and why it’s important
- The mentoring process, roles responsibilities and expectations
- Mentoring style: directive versus facilitative
- Encouraging reflective practice (learning from experience)
- Facilitating problem solving, goal formation and goal achievement
- Questioning and feedback skills
- Setting up a mentoring agreement
Mentoring: what it is and why it is important
The mentoring process, roles responsibilities and expectations
Setting up a mentoring agreement
1115 Encouraging reflective practice
Mentoring style: directive versus facilitative
1330 Problem solving and goal achievement
1515 Feedback skills