This session is compulsory for students approaching the RF2
You are invited to this session as you are a PhD student who is approaching the Confirmation of PhD (RF2) process.
Confirmation of PhD (the RF2 Process) is now a formal assessment point for progression on the PhD programme, with strict deadlines for submission on first and second assessment opportunities. This means that students who fail to meet the deadline for first assessment will automatically lose an assessment opportunity, and students who fail to meet the deadline for second assessment, or who don’t meet the required standard on second assessment, will not be allowed to progress to PhD. A further change is that assessment decisions are now made by an assessment panel, consisting of at least one independent assessor and a Postgraduate Research Tutor or Head of Programme Area for Postgraduate Research.
Your supervisor has also been invited to attend, as the new assessment regulations will be a significant change in practice for them.
This briefing will focus on the detail of how the new regulations have been translated into process and procedure in MERI and will also introduce the Guidelines for Confirmation of PhD Procedure (attached) in MERI. The following topics will be covered:
The Confirmation of PhD Report
- Arrangements for the Oral Assessment component
- Process for submission of the 6, 000 word report & RF2A and deadlines
- Assessment criteria and assessment panel outcomes on first and second assessment
- Supervisor and student responsibilities at Confirmation of PhD
- The role of the rapporteur at Approval of PhD Programme (RF1) and Confirmation of PhD (RF2)
If you are unable to make this training session please do get in touch.