Practice or mock interviews help students develop self-confidence in preparation for that all important first interview as students meet and speak with professionals and volunteers from the business world.
Student interviews are carried out in a room, usually the school hall but could be a cluster of classrooms where you will be provided a desk and 2 chairs per interviewer. Interviews slots will last 30 minutes in total, this time allocation is split to allow approximately 20/25 minutes for the interview itself and 5/10 minutes for direct feedback time, both verbal and written with the students you will have interviewed. All written feedback is collated back at the EBP offices and forwarded to the school to be used at a later date, helping students identify areas of either improvement or excellence to be worked on.
You can get involved by volunteering to do just one interview or even stay for the whole day! Dependant on the school, venue and cohort numbers, practice interviews usually run for the best part of a school day or can occasionally span multiple days. Please see each individual activity for exact details and timings.
Lunch and refreshments across the day will be provided for you and also provide an ideal time to network with other businesses that are taking part in the days program and a good way to find out why they are involved and what else they are involved with.
Why volunteer at Practice Interviews?
- Be better prepared for the real thing through interview questions, some of whom may have never had an interview before.
- Develop awareness of their own skills through talking about what they have done in and out of school and realising that they do have many transferable skills.
- Gain invaluable practice by talking with real employers, somebody who is not a teacher and a rarity for students to talk to.
- Receive written and verbal feedback on their performance for use in the future when they are preparing for their first real interview.
What support is offered to volunteers and business supporters?
- Full event details are sent out before the programme, this includes directions to the event and timings for the day.
- A briefing is delivered to everyone taking part in the event, where you will be told about the school, students and the process of the day in more detail.
- We will supply you with all resources required for you to carry out the best possible interview that you can for each and every student.
- EBP staff are always on hand to answer questions before the day, during the day and after.
- We recruit, train and monitor interviewers from the business community on a regular basis to ensure the students are getting the best possible experience on the day.
- Many companies release staff to attend these days to in order to give them exposure to interviewing in a safe and friendly environment, perhaps as part of their own development.