Actions and Detail Panel
Moving Up - CLPL for Transition. Using film & creative learning with P7.
Tue 16 May 2017, 16:00 – 18:00 BST
Moving from Primary to Secondary school is one of the most testing times for learners. From being a big fish in a little pond to a minnow in a new, much larger, sea can be a daunting challenge for some.
The Moving Up CLPL for Transition session utilises the themes and characters in Inside Out to enable teachers develop new strategies to support learners transitioning from P7 – S1. The film Inside Out explores the impact of moving from a familiar place to a new home and a new school in a new city, on the central character, Riley.
The Moving Up CLPL for Transition session shows teachers how to use clips from Inside Out with creative learning techniques to help learners to develop emotional intelligence, and to understand that anxiety during times of change is normal.
The session will help you to support learners to:
- understand emotional intelligence and the difference between reflexive and reflective actions
- develop coping strategies relating to change
- effectively assess some of the things that could go wrong
- identify strategies for minimising risk that things will go wrong
- identify what to do when things do go wrong
- find help and support from a range of places
- think about what it is to be a successful learner
- develop a personal vision for their learning journey through secondary school and beyond