This workshop will be sharing an overview of understanding the needs of those with autism and useful approaches when music leading with these groups. The day will be mostly hands on with theory discussed when necessary.
The day will focus on the more challenging end of the spectrum but also touching upon the comparisons between the less ‘obvious’ ends of the spectrum.
Experienced workshop leader Tina Pinder will be sharing tried and tested fun activities with a big focus on musical repertoire that enables social inclusion when leading groups of young people with Autism (both instrumentally and using the voice).
The day will include:
• Understanding sound processing and body functioning within the autistic spectrum.
• First achievable targets in rhythm and instrumental work.
• Ideas on how to create repertoire and targets when leading a group with different abilities, communication needs and focus.
• Singing Repertoire that can link to Speech Therapy.
• Composition tips for profound groups who have communication and/or behavioural needs.
• Sharing challenging situations that may arise in this kind of workshop (or have already been experienced by participants attending the training)
• Tips on working together with the carers within your workshop (with input from any carers attending!)
• ‘Structured’ and ‘unstructured’ music making – creating a common ground between school music activities and those delivered in community groups.
Please see our bookings conditions here
If an organisation or school is paying on your behalf please select the 'show other payment options' in Orange in the ticket box to have an invoice sent instead. You will have the option of stating which email address you would like it to be sent to when filling out the booking form.
When & Where
MusicLeader exists to raise the quality, value and impact of music leadership in the UK.
Funded by Youth Music and delivered in London by Sound Connections, MusicLeader is a unique national network which supports the development of the music-leading workforce, equipping it with the knowledge and skills required by employers.