Apply for a place in the National Youth Folk Ensemble!
We are looking for talented young musicians to form the first cohort of the National Youth Folk Ensemble.
Attend a Sampler Day
Sampler Days are the first stage of the audition process. They are free to attend but places are limited.
Who can apply?
To register for a Sampler Day you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You are aged 14-18 on 1 September 2016
- You live in England
- You are able to play confidently on any instrument
- You are able to attend a final audition in London on 9 or 10 July 2016
- You are able to attend 4 weeks of residential courses in the school holidays (23 – 28 October 2016, February 2017, April 2017 and August 2017)
We are looking for musicians who demonstrate:
- Confidence, accuracy and skill on their chosen instrument
- Interest in folk music
- Ability to learn and play music by ear
- Folk character and style from any tradition
- Passion for playing and collaborating with others
- Interest in developing arrangements and creating music collaboratively
- Commitment to learning and developing as a musician
- Open-mindedness and willingness to share ideas
The National Youth Folk Ensemble welcomes applications from disabled musicians – please contact email@example.com to discuss your access requirements.
What will happen at the Sampler Day?
Registration opens at 10.30am and the first workshop begins at 11am. The Sampler Day will end at 4pm.
The Sampler Day will include:
- creative group workshops with Sam Sweeney (Artistic Director 2016-17), Miranda Rutter and Rob Harbron
- a short individual audition
- a Q & A with Ensemble staff
Please note that playing and learning at the Sampler Day will be done primarily by ear.
What should I prepare for the individual audition?
Be prepared to introduce and play a solo piece for 2.5 minutes that best demonstrates your instrumental skills. The piece must be played by ear and be traditional or in a traditional style. You must bring your own instrument and equipment.
Individual auditions may be filmed for internal use only.
You will be asked to provide a recent passport-style photograph before the Sampler Day.
The National Youth Folk Ensemble is an English Folk Dance and Song Society programme, funded by Arts Council England.
If you have any questions please contact Sarah Jones, Programme Manager of the National Youth Folk Ensemble, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7485 2206 ext. 235