Apply for a place in the National Youth Folk Ensemble!
We are looking for talented young musicians to form the second cohort of the National Youth Folk Ensemble.
Attend a Sampler Day
Sampler Days are the first stage of the audition process. They are free to attend but places are limited.
Young musicians who meet the below criteria but don’t wish to audition for the Ensemble are welcome to take part in the Sampler Day to find out more about the project.
What will happen at the Sampler Day?
Meet inspiring tutors, learn about English folk music, and play with young musicians from your region!
The Sampler Days are free to attend and will include creative workshops with Sam Sweeney (Artistic Director 2016-18), Miranda Rutter and Rob Harbron, short individual auditions, and an information session with Ensemble staff.
Registration opens at 10.30am and the workshops run from 11am-4pm.
Following the Sampler Days, selected musicians will be invited to attend a final audition in London on 8 or 9 July 2017.
Who can register for a Sampler Day?
You will need to meet the following criteria:
- You are aged 14-18 on 1 September 2017
- You live in England
- You are able to play confidently on any instrument
- You are able to attend a final audition in London on 8 or 9 July 2017
- You are able to attend 4 weeks of residential courses in the school holidays (October 2017, February 2018, Easter 2018 and summer 2018)
We are looking for musicians who demonstrate:
- Confidence, accuracy and skill on their chosen instrument
- Interest in folk music
- Ability to learn and play music by ear
- Folk character and style from any tradition
- Passion for playing and collaborating with others
- Interest in developing arrangements and creating music collaboratively
- Commitment to learning and developing as a musician
- Open-mindedness and willingness to share ideas
The National Youth Folk Ensemble welcomes applications from disabled musicians. Please contact Sarah Jones on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your access requirements.
What if I don’t want to audition for the Ensemble?
You can take part in the Sampler Day without doing the individual audition.
Fill in the registration form and in the final question “Why are you interested in joining the National Youth Folk Ensemble?” write in the box “I don’t want to audition for the Ensemble this year”.
£400 annual membership fee
We want everyone who is offered a place in the Ensemble to be able to take it up. We are able to offer some financial support if the fee or travel costs are unaffordable for you. Contact Sarah Jones on email@example.com to discuss your circumstances and financial aid options.
The National Youth Folk Ensemble is an English Folk Dance and Song Society programme, funded by Arts Council England.