San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
"Talking about human rights - making the link to the issues we care about"
Rachel Krys, Equally Ours
9.30 - 10.30am
(Registration open from 9am, please arrive no later than 9.15am)
The Sheila McKechnie Foundation (SMK) is holding a special talk and networking event in London from 9.30-10.30am on 2nd December 2014, aimed at campaigners, lobbyists, policymakers and strategists alike. This event is NOT just targeted at human rights campaigners. It is for anyone working for an organisation or group supporting or representing those who may be marginalised or discriminated against.
Be inspired by Rachel's talk and stay on to meet and network with other campaigners.
Rachel Krys from Equally Ours will present the research they've done into what people really think about human rights. Far from being a political boo-word, most people think human rights are important when they make the link to the issues they care about.
This talk will explore how we can talk about human rights in a way which connects with an audience that doesn’t know how human rights, intolerance and discrimination are relevant to their everyday lives.
We will think about how we achieve lasting change, get our messages across to those who need to hear them, and have a more positive conversation.
Attendees will learn:
• How different audience cohorts react to different messages on human rights
• How to frame messages about human rights to make them relevant to a persuadable audience
• Why talking about human rights in the context of wider social justice discussions is a priority
About the speaker
Rachel Krys is the Head of Media & Communications for Equally Ours. Rachel leads on developing and implementing all media and communications activities for Equally Ours.
She has recently worked as a freelance communications project manager with clients including Mumsnet, an NHS Trust and Women 1st.
About Equally Ours
Equally Ours is a partnership between eight national charities who have come together to raise awareness of how human rights benefit us all in everyday life.
When & Where
Sheila McKechnie Foundation (SMK)
The Sheila McKechnie Foundation (SMK) is a unique charity that supports individuals, groups and communities to have the skills and confidence to speak up and take effective action on issues that matter to them.Our work includes;
- Providing training, coaching and consultancy to help people and organisations develop the knowledge, skills and confidence they need to campaign effectively.
- Being a voice for campaigners by advocating for the needs and benefits of campaigning, and protecting the space to campaign.
- Bringing campaigners together and celebrating success through our networks, events and annual SMK Campaigner Awards.
For more information please visit on website www.smk.org.uk.