Nutrigenomics In Practice: Detoxification
The seminar is designed for nutritional therapists and healthcare professionals to learn more about the genes, variants and nutrient interactions that impact detoxification and to gain the confidence to use this knowledge in clinical practice.
1. Genetics, genomics and nutrigenomics - foundational principals of nutrigenomics in a functional medicine context. Chromosomes, genes and variants. Genetic susceptibilities and resiliance. How nutrients impact gene expression and how genes impact nutrient metabolism.
2. Detoxification - Overview of the Phase 1 and Phase 2 liver pathways their effect on immunity and allergy, nervous system, metabolism and energy, cardiovascular health and hormonal health.
3. Oestrogen metabolism - Overview of the main oestrogen metabolism pathways and how imbalances can occur.
4. Nutrigenomics of detoxification - genes, variants and nutrient interactions - The function of the genes and enzymes involved in Phase 1 - cytochrome P450 (CYP) family and Phase 2 reactions (sulphation, glucuronidation, glutathione conjucation, acetylation, amino acid conjucation and methylation) and the potential impact of genetic variants. The role of nutrients and cofactors such as vitamins B3, B6, B9 (folate), B12, A, flavonoids, phospholipids, glycine, taurine, NAC, cysteine, methionine in detoxification, as well as other anti-oxidant nutrients. The impact of the environment (epigenetics) on toxicity and detoxification - with a focus on endotoxins and exotoxins.
5. Nutrigenomics of oestrogen metabolism - A focus on the varitants and nutrients that improve and impede oestrogen synthesis, metabolism and elimination
6. Genotype testing and analysis in practice - *case studies - Hands on session to equip practitioners to use nutrigenomics in practice. Linking genetic variants to relevant functional tests and personalised naturopathic nutrition plans.
7. Nutrigenomics resources and support - What next? Websites, specialist groups and meetups, tools and analysis, how to keep up with the latest research.
*If you would like to review your own genotype during the seminar you may order our Oestrogen Balance report in advance using the Ingeneius app.
We are offering seminar attendees the opportunity to purchase the Oestrogen Balance report for half price - £49 (rrp £99)! You will receive a discount code for the report when you register for the seminar.
**Note: a 23andMe genotype test is required in order to run the report and this will have a lead time.
Karen Harrison BSc (Hons) Dip CNM mBANT rCNHC
5.5 hours CPD (BANT & NNA) (pending)
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org