NOTE: PLEASE ONLY REGISTER IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL *DEFINITELY* BE COMING SO WE HAVE AN ACCURATE PICTURE OF HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL ATTEND!
The main event URL is: http://okfnpad.org/pdobd
This one day workshop will focus on open bibliographic data and the public domain. In particular it will address questions like:
- What is the role of freely reusable metadata about works in calculating which works are in the public domains in different jurisdictions?
- How can we use existing sources of open data to automate the calculation of which works are in the public domain?
- What data sharing policies in libraries and culrural heritage institutions would support automated calculation of copyright status?
- How can we connect databases of information about public domain works with digital copies of public domain works from different sources (Wikipedia, Europeana, Project Gutenberg, …)?
- How can we map existing sources of public domain works in different countries/languages more effectively?
The day will be very much focused on productive discussion and ‘getting things done’ — rather than presentations. Sessions will include policy discussions about public domain calculation under the auspices of Communia (a European thematic network on the digital public domain), as well as hands on coding sessions run by the Open Knowledge Foundation. The workshop is a satellite event to the 3rd Free Culture Research Conference on 8-9th October.
When & Where
The Open Knowledge Foundation is a non-profit organization that promotes open knowledge and #opendata projects around the world.