San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Event official home page is at http://en.okfn.org/open-data-day-2014/
This year's Open Data Day is happening on 22nd February and we’re meeting in London to have fun and make apps and insights with open data!
Open Data Day is a gathering of citizens in cities around the world to write applications, liberate data, create visualizations and publish analyses using open public data to show support for and encourage the adoption of open data policies by the world's local, regional and national governments.
The event is open to all, curious citizens, journalists, tech-geeks, students, scientists, graphic designers. Swing by on the day to learn, hack, wrangle and just plain hangout!
The event is open to all, curious citizens, journalists, tech-geeks, students, scientists, graphic designers. Come by on the day to learn, hack, wrangle and just plain hangout.
We emphasize that no specialist skills are needed – come along to learn and connect with other members of the community. You don’t need to know anything about (open) data or technology in advance – enthusiasm and interest is all that is needed and you’ll get support and advice from others!
Examples of the kinds of things we will work on the day are:
- Investigating the availability of data from your local city or council – are they publishing their accounts, tax rates, planning permissions?
- Skills wanted: the ability to use a search engine!
- Flood data and analysing the impact of floods around the UK. Can we get the data from the Environment agency, can we use it to predict the risk and impact of floods in the future?
- Skills wanted: ability to use a search engine; data scraping; visualization; writing
- Finding out where government is spending your taxes using Where Does My Money Go and OpenSpending
- Skills wanted: ability to use a search engine; spreadsheets; data scraping and SQL (for advanced users)
When & Where
The Open Knowledge Foundation is a non-profit organization that promotes open knowledge and #opendata projects around the world.