Actions and Detail Panel
Osteopathic Functional Technique
Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 09:00 – Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 17:30 BST
Developed by Dr Hoover and Dr Bowles in the US in the 1940s, functional technique is one of the gentlest of osteopathic techniques for restoring function and easing pain. This 'unwinding' technique can be used widely in practice, not only as a stand-alone soft tissue technique but in conjunction with structural, visceral, cranial and myofascial techniques to enhance tissue function and encourage motion.
This workshop, led by Dr Stephen Sandler, will provide a thorough introduction to functional technique and how to identify and work with 'ease' and 'bind' in response to motion demand.
What you will learn
- To use palpation and motion to identify positions that increase and decrease the sense of tension at the palpating joint.
- To use your whole boy as a palpating tool by understanding where you proprioception is coming from.
- Experience of gentle tissue release under your palpating hand
- To identify barriers of resistance to motion in various fields
- To use a sublimation of practical skills to improve technique
About the Course Leader
Dr Stephen Sandler PhD DO graduated from the BSO in 1975. He has been involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching for more than 40 years and has taught and examined in more than 22 countries worldwide. He was a founder of The Expectant Mothers Clinic at the school in 1980 and has a private practice in Chingford in East London and practices as a Consultant Osteopath at The Portland Hospital in central London. His approach to practice is very eclectic in that he does not see himself as a visceral or structural osteopath but as someone who uses the most appropriate techniques available according to the demand of the patient concerned. Functional technique comes into his treatment approach every day helping him treat the widest possible number of acute, semi acute and chronic patients allowing them to approach a better state of health.
- Osteopathy and Obstetrics, Anshan Publishing, 2012
- Report on a survey to look into the incidence of acute musculo skeletal pain and the phases of the menstrual cycle, BOJ (New Series), Vol. XXI, 1998, pp. 7-8.
- The management of low back pain in pregnancy. Man Ther. 1996 Sep;1(4):178-185. Sandler SE