Actions and Detail Panel
out of this earth workshop
Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 10:00 – Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 16:00 BST
‘Returning to a more indigenous way of making’
2 day workshop £160 - deposit to book £60
Clay is literally millions of years old and our relationship with the material dates back to pre-historic times. It is not often in our busy and modern lives that we have the opportunity or time to allow ourselves to sit and make the way our ancestors did. To discover for ourselves the slow rhythmic way of working with base materials, sit and watch the fire as the pots turn from clay to ceramic and learn to prospect the land for various materials needed. This is an invitation to do just that.
Over the weekend you will learn to-
- Prospect for clay and other materials essential for making slips and glazes
- Learn some of the geological history of the Devonshire area, as well as its rich potting history
- Learn how to process the found clay and prepare slips and glazes
- Learn how to make simple vessels and fire them using ancient firing techniques mixed with simple modern technology.
- Take your pots home still warm from their first firing
- Slow down and be in a completely Internet and mobile free environment.