Actions and Detail Panel
Outdoor Learning Practitioner
Wed, 29 Mar 2017, 09:30 – Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 12:30 BST
Who is this course for?
This course is the nationally recognised standard at Level 2, accredited by the Open College Network, and focuses on developing practical hands-on skills & a bank of activities. It builds confidence and ability in using the outdoor environments, learning how to manage and improve these for teaching & learning. It is popular with educational professionals wanting to expand their knowledge and confidence in delivering the curriculum in local outdoor spaces as well as improving their own skills in how to improve their local green environments for learning and biodiversity.
Entry Requirements Participants must: Be over 18 years of age. Have experience working with young people.
The Outdoor Learning Practitioner was developed in consultation with educational professionals and is constantly updated in line with developments in the national curriculum. Completion of the course only takes two and a half days ( plus some structured ‘homework’ in between the course days) and it is designed to be as practical, accessible & supportive as possible in helping you to make a success in implementing a programme of Outdoor Learning. Open course days are advertised on our website www.brightwoodtraining.com We can also bring this course to your setting and accommodate training days tailored to your setting and staff availability if you prefer. Minimum number of participants required to run this course: 2.
- Understanding the benefits and risks of using the outdoors as a learning environment, looking at the background and context of modern outdoor learning.
- Learning how to make an holistic approach to implementing outdoor learning – getting everyone ‘on board’ with your plans.
- Planning & delivering seasonal outdoor learning by building specific skills and confidence in a range of areas that can be developed / enhanced in school grounds and in the local environment.
- Knowing how to sustainably manage and improve outdoor learning environments, looking at ecological structures in the natural environment, identifying species in our own local natural environments
- Looking at the wider context of Learning Outside the Classroom and making plans to utilise your local natural and built environment in curriculum delivery.
Is this course accredited / what qualification will I gain?
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded an Open College Network OCN Level 2 Certificate as an Outdoor Learning Practitioner.
What will I need for the course?
Once your booking is confirmed you will be sent a full kit list, these are the things that you will need to bring with you each day:
A packed lunch and a cup for hot drinks.
Suitable outdoor clothing for the weather conditions (trousers, not shorts, and a long sleeved top) Several thin layers and a jumper are more effective at keeping you warm than one thick layer. You will be spending time both indoors and outdoors.
Waterproof jacket and trousers, a woolly hat and gloves if it is cold. Sun cream and hats as needed.
Stout shoes or boots with socks. For safety do not wear sandals or trainers
A notebook, pen and camera for recording information and activities.
What we will provide
Hot drinks and snacks.
All required paperwork.
All tools and equipment. Please DO NOT bring your own tools with you, including knives.
Course dates and booking
Book directly with Brightwood Training at www.brightwoodtraining.com and complete an application form on the course dates page, or book through eventbrite.
You can contact Vicki Stewart on 07968165874 or email us on email@example.com and chat through any questions or further information you would like, or ask for for an application form to be sent directly to you.