Actions and Detail Panel
Overcoming Barriers to Learning
Fri 28 April 2017, 13:30 – 16:30 BST
Helping vulnerable students overcome their barriers to learning
In almost every classroom there will be children and young people who could be described as vulnerable. They may not be in a position to access the curriculum and while they may be few in number their behaviour can stop others learning.
This course will examine why such children may behave in the way they do and how individual teachers and staff teams can create systems and develop strategies to support individual children and young people within their schools. It will also consider how schools can adopt practices that can be used as part of a whole school approach to behaviour management.
The session will cover
- Identifying the vulnerable in our schools
- What drives the behaviour of vulnerable children and young people?
- What is the impact of this behaviour on staff as individuals and as a team?
- How to develop a shared language
- Strategies to use when dealing with vulnerable children