Actions and Detail Panel
Pedalling Pirates Picnic, 2017
Sun 16 July 2017, 10:30 – 14:00 BST
Ahoy me hearty cyclists. Fancy joining up for a jaunty swashbuckling ride along the East Sussex coastline. Final muster at Hastings Pier for Pirate Posse to ride into town. Disembark at picnic area on beach reserved for pirate cyclists and cycles.
Detailed timings of pick up points
- Eastbourne - REDOUBT FORTRESS
10.15am. Meet up by large cannon on pavement facing the roadside.
- Pevensey Town - The Castle Inn
10.45 - 10.50am (5 mins pit stop)
- The Star Pub - REST BREAK
11.05 - 11.40am (35 mins pit stop)
- Cooden Hotel
11.55 -12.00n (5 mins pit stop)
- Bexhill De La Warr
12.15 - 12.25pm (10 mins pit stop)
- Cafe on the Beach - Ravenside Retail Park
12.35 - 12.40pm (5 mins pit stop)
- Sea Cadets /TA Centre Bulverhythe
12.50pm - no waiting, join on the move
- Hastings Pier
1.00 - 1.20pm (20 mins for picking up entry number at Pier) and forming up for road cycling parade to Old Town, U turn at Winkle Island and back to beach area
- Hasting Beach opp. St Mary in the Castle
1.35pm - disembark for picnic.
DRESS CODE: Pirate, Buccaneer and all things nautical.
Aarrrr, this be a laid back easy paced fun ride for all ages*. Pack a picnic basket and drinks.
Many of the routes are off road, cycle tracks. Mostly level until Galley Hill.
In the spirit of comradery the group should aim to keep together and avoid breaking away. However, because of Galley Hill, traffic controls etc, should you find yourself ahead of the group you should wait at the next pit stop for the rest to catch up and re-join.
It is essential to keep to the timetable for those waiting to join the group at the pick-up points.
We may be loud with swashbuckling merriment, but on roads we be safe and orderly - that be Captains Orders, AARRRR.
Bexhill promenade may be too busy for the group, so the road will be used going along the main drag.
Hasting will be full with pirates, so the finale parade ride into town will take place on the road from Hastings Pier, up to the Old Town, U turn at Winkle Island and back to turn left onto reserved beach area (near St Mary In the Castle).
This being an inaugural cycling Pirate event, we shall be settting an unofficial fun world record for Pirates on bicycles, count taken at pier.
Awards for: 'Best pirate outfit' and 'Best Decorated Bicycle'.
- Participants will be expected to sign a liability waiver prior to taking part. This form must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. Evidence of age may be requested. *Participants under the age of 18 years will be allowed to participate in the event with the consent of their parent or legal guardian who must sign the Event Registration form on behalf of the underage rider. Signing is also an acceptance for the actions and consequences of the underage rider. Under 16s must be accompanied at all times by an adult, responsible for them.
- Read the Highway Code and adhere to road regulations.
- The organiser reserves the right to cancel, should weather be wet and windy.
- For those on penny farthings, alternative routes need to be sought where there is unsuitable track at some sections along Pevensey Bay, Norman Bay and Cafe on the Beach to Bulverhythe.
The East Sussex Pedaling Pirate Shanty
Aye Eastbourne’s in the past
Redoubt Fortress was a military blast
No booty to be found at Pevensey Bay
Time to change gear and cruise on our way
We be the Pedalling Pirates
Our furners sail on air and we love baskets
We be the Pedalling Pirates
We wear vintage inside and out
We’re Pedalling Pirates - NO DOUBT
Shiver me timbers, swashbuckling crew
Ahoy a shoal of mermaids, thar in the blue
The tide be fine to see them play
And folic with fishes in Norman Bay
Ahoy we be at De La Warr afore night
Drinking grog be our mission and having a bite
We be tinging bells and, having tweed teas
NO lily-livered cyclists are we.
Ahoy me hearties - land ahoy
Smuggling our loot will soon be our joy
East Cliff Caves our booty be stored
Avast for a picnic on Hastings sea shore
With a Yo ho ho, we be buccaneers
Our jolly rogers tell yer nay privateers
We’ll keelhaul any landlubber avast us going on account
Telling us thars no place to dismount”