San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Lead Tutor: Jonathan Jefferies Cost: £105 per module
In the current economic climate, with increasing pressures on our social security and benefits system, it is imperative for union officers to have a clear understanding of UK pension schemes.
The course will cover the role of trade unions regarding pensions; develop knowledge of pensions jargon; understand issues affecting members and their pensions; and look at future trade union campaigning on pensions.
Each module will consider equality issues in relation to pensions.
These modules are particularly suitable for newly appointed officers and staff. More experienced officers will find it useful as an update or refresher course.
Each module contains some online work which can be done with some flexibility and a one-day classroom-based session at Congress House.
Modules can either be booked as individual units or as a series.
Pensions – Module One
The UK pension system
• Understanding jargon
• What are the views of union members regarding pensions?
• What are trades unions’ values regarding pensions?
• The pensions challenge for members, reps, unions and society
• Income in retirement
• Analysing pensions options: inequality in pensions
• State provision of pensions
• Campaigning around the state pension: issues to consider
• Getting members and reps involved in pensions campaigns
When & Where
Trades Union Congress (TUC)
The Trades Union Congress (TUC) is the voice of Britain at work. We represent nearly six million working people in 52 unions across the economy. We campaign for more and better jobs and a better working life for everyone, and we support trade unions to grow and thrive.