Phlebotomy update for primary care staff from Kent, Surrey and Sussex CCG's
Tuesday, 15 March 2016 from 13:30 to 16:00 (GMT)
PHLEBOTOMY UPDATE for HCAs & NURSES 2016 HALF DAY Trainer: Zoe Rawles – HealthTrain (www.healthtrain.co.uk)
Venue: Southgate Medical Group - please do not park in patient car park.
This update is run in accordance with the National Occupational Standard for venepuncture and refers to the guidance developed by WHO (2010) 
The session covers the theoretical base and practical skills required for safe and confident venepuncture, including sessions on safety issues, protocols, record keeping etc.
- Demonstrate an awareness of anatomy and physiology relevant to venepuncture
- Describe the management of key health and safety issues e.g. blood spills, infection control, sharps disposal
- Explain the procedure to follow in the event of a needle stick injury
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the phlebotomist / nurse / HCA within their practice protocol and within their own professional or personal competence
- Demonstrate an awareness of the patient’s rights including information, consent and record keeping
- Explain the procedure to the patient in a sensitive and appropriate manner
- Describe the equipment required for venepuncture
- Demonstrate correct technique when performing venepuncture
- Label the sample correctly
- Describe the procedure to be taken when experiencing difficulty with obtaining a blood sample
- Describe the procedures to be taken in the case of an adverse reaction, including collapse
- Complete the documentation process fully in accordance with practice protocol.
Suitable for: HCAs, Registered Nurses, any other members of the health care sector who are already practicing phlebotomy
When & Where
Crawley CCG and Horsham and Mid Sussex CCG Primary Care Workforce Tutors
CPD for nurses and health care assistants employed in Crawley CCG practices and Horsham and Mid Sussex Practices