This course will offer a detailed overview of the tools that every Graphic Designer needs for a clients pitch, or to be added to a design portfolio.
Step by step, you will cover the whole design process, from choosing the correct settings and resolution, to producing final output files.
Starting with a full Photoshop introduction from a graphic design perspective, participants will be understanding the main differences when working for print and web, working with different formats and resolutions, and avoiding common mistakes through good file structuring.
Particular focus will be on creating a design following a detailed brief. This will include working with a logo, combining type and textures and blending all elements into a great layout.
You will learn how to master key tools such as adjustment layers, layer masks and blending modes, which will improve your workflow and allow you to produce a design of industry standard quality.
The end of the day will be even more exciting when you will learn how to bring your design to life, into a billboard mock-up, web banner, packaging design or a poster.
- Software overview from a designer's point of view
- Working with type
- Vectors and Raster images / Resolution
- Formats overview: PSD, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, EPS, PDF
- Layers, Channels
- Hue / Saturation, Levels, Curves, Brightness / Contrast
- Image size, Canvas size, Image rotation, Cropping images
- Layer properties and Blending options
- Rules and Guides
- Resize and resample an image
- Groups and Linked layers
- Smart layers
- Smart filters vs Adjustment layers
- Layer Mask vs Clipping Mask
- Importing vector shapes: Smart objects, Pixels, Path, Shape Layers
- Working with Paths : Tracing shapes, Selection from paths, Masking
- Placing vector shapes and Warping vector layers
- RGB vs CMYK: conversion, color modes
- Adding crop marks and bleeds
- Exporting TIFF or EPS files
- Exporting high-quality PDF
Requirements: Knowledge of the basics of Photoshop. Laptop with Adobe Photoshop and Bridge installed (version CC / CS6 / CS5 / CS4). If you are a complete beginner, please have a look at our Photoshop Foundation or One to One tuition to bring you up to the required level.
Don't have your own laptop?
If you don't have your own laptop then there's no need to worry. You can hire one of our Mac laptops for £25 per day.