Porto & Guimarães Walkshop - 2 days
Porto & Guimarães Photography Workshop - 2 days
Porto in Northern Portugal lies on the northern bank of the Douro River, it gives rise to a dramatically undulated landscape and therefore spectacular vistas. Whilst the city itself is located inland from the Atlantic, there are also glorious beaches just a short train ride away. Porto has an extensive history which is reflected by its World Heritage protected old town (the Ribiera), baroque churches and characterful winding streets. The city igives it's name to the famous alcoholic drink and Port is still matured and bottled in the vast cellars located along the riverside, themselves great for photography from above on the Port Luis bridge or the cable car
Guimarães - it's medieval centre is a warren of labyrinthine lanes and picturesque plazas framed by 14th-century edifices, while on an adjacent hill stands a 1000-year-old castle and, next to it, the massive palace built by the first duke of Braganca in the 15th century. Guimarães’ glory was officially recognised in 2001, when Unesco declared its old centre a World Heritage Site. More recently, in 2012, the city was the European Capital of Culture, which has led to several new openings on the cultural front and given the city a more creative edge
Day 1 – Porto
After meeting up tour begins with a walk through the city’s must sees:
- Liberty Square, stopping at S. Bento railway station to admire its beautiful Portuguese tiles decoration
- Heading to Sta. Catarina street stopping at “Bolhão” Market to feel the city’s most typical ambiance…
- Proceeding to visit the Cathedral, its cloisters and its Treasure Museum
- Walking down through the 1st. old Jewish quarter, till Ribeira Square
- Proceeding for a private guided visit to the Stock Exchange Palace
- Walking up through the 2nd. Jewish quarter (the “ugly” Porto), for a great view over the old city, at S. Bento da Vitória view point
- Continuing to visit the Clerics Tower for a 360º panoramic view over the city, from the tower’s top!
- Proceeding to take the Funicular down and cross D. Luis bridge towards Gaia, to have lunch at one of the typical restaurants where a genuine Portuguese meal will be served
- After lunch, we will take the cable car up to the Serra do Pilar, for another great photo opportunity over the city and the Douro river
- We then go back to our start point
- End of tour day 1
Day 2 – Guimarães:
- After meeting at S. Bento railway station in Porto, our tour begins with an 1 hour train trip to Guimarães.
- Arriving and begin of the short walk towards Guimarães historic centre for a visit to its old cathedral and its picturesque old city
- On to visit the ancient Guimarães castle, where Portugal was founded by our first king – D. Afonso Henriques – back in the 11th century!
- Our next stop will be at the impressive French styled Dukes Palace, where our tour guide will lead you during a private visit, to learn about the importance of this building which is still used by all the Portuguese Republic Presidents, as an official residence on the Northern Portugal!
- Walk back to Guimarães old center for our lunch break
- After lunch, your tour proceeds with a visit to Penha hill, for a cable car ride and the opportunity to take some amazing photos over the city and its surroundings!
- It is time then to get back to the railway station to return to Porto.
- Arriving to Porto and farewell!
Getting around – our local guide, Ana will help us discover all the interesting places above within the City & tell us all about what we’re taking pictures of
Photography hints, tips & tuition – I’ll be there to guide your photography & give you help, hints & tips to get your photos looking like a pro. We’ll take our time, finding the best views and angles to get the best shots. We’ll look at composition, camera modes, filters and much more while we amble around the narrow streets
How to get to Porto:
EasyJet fly to/from Bristol on these days:
Outward 18.50 (Arr Porto 21.00)
Return 21.30 (Arr Bristol 23.35)
Outward 19.10 (Arr Porto 21.20)
Return 21.50 (Arr Bristol 23.35)
There are also many flights from Gatwick Airport
If you have any other questions – email@example.com