Actions and Detail Panel
Practical Mental Health Techniques to Support People in the Outdoors
Mon 19 June 2017, 09:00 – 16:30 BST
Synopsis - Today’s focus is to provide practical, workable information that will help you to take care of yourself and your volunteers and give them (and you) the best experience possible. It will give you a solid knowledge of what to expect when working with people with mental health conditions and emotional support needs. You will learn how to see situations from various perspectives, how to help people to relax and how to maintain a safe, comfortable environment for everyone.
Julia, your trainer for the day is a psychotherapist who works with people suffering emotional difficulties. Although the theme of the day is supporting people in the outdoor environment, the framework will equally apply to working in any situation.
Please note! This is a day for you: if you have anything specific that you would like us to cover, please let us know on your registration form.
An Outline of the day:
- 09.00 Welcome, registration, tea and coffee
- 09.30 Introductions, who we are and what to expect of the day
- 10.00 Session 1: Framework: a fresh perspective on mental health
- 11.00 COFFEE
- 11.30 Session 2: Understanding stress, anxiety, anger, fear, depression, psychosis
- 12.30 LUNCH
- 13.30 Session 3: Understanding trauma, PTSD, OCD, self-harming, addiction
- 14.30 TEA
- 15.00 Session 4: Nuts n’ Bolts - toolkit for supporting people
- 16.00 Questions, discussion, further reading and resources list, feedback
- 16.30 TRAINING DAY ENDS
Experience Level - No experience required.
What to bring with you – Packed lunch, pen & paper
Location – TCV Scotland, The Granary, 44 Mortonhall Gate, Edinburgh, EH16 6TJ
Catering – Please bring a pack lunch
Cost - £85.00 (includes vat)
Terms & Conditions - The full fee is payable for cancellations within 7 days of event.