Actions and Detail Panel
Prepare pupils for programming tasks (incl. NEAs for GCSE Computer Science)...
Tue, January 24, 2017, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM GMT
Prepare pupils for programming tasks (incl. NEAs for GCSE Computer Science)
Link to this page: http://exa.is/24jan16.pm
- How are you preparing your GCSE Computer Science students for the Non-Examined Assessment part of their course?
- How can you effectively teach children to problem solve, algorithm design and text-based programming?
- How do you differentiate your teaching so that your students can make rapid learning progress?
- What strategies
Aims: This event will support teachers with the development of GCSE Computer Science in their schools. It will provide teachers with an impactful practical experience demonstrating a range of teaching & learning strategies they can use in their own Computing lessons in KS3/KS4, but particularly useful for teaching GCSE Computer Science.
Some students really struggle to make rapid progress with the programming aspects of Computing, especially text-based programming. This event is intended to support teachers with the teaching of pupils who find problem solving, and text-based programming difficult as well as differentiation teaching to support a wide ability range.
We will focus on Teaching & Learning strategies that include paired programming, problem-solving, algorithm design, Python, code-sharing, debugging and differentiation strategies
14:00 Welcome. Tea & Coffee. Group Discussion Activities.
14:30 Classroom Based Activity:
- Identifying the challenges of text-based programming
- Modelling strategies to support less confident learners
- Developing students confidence with problem solving
- Using a text-based programming language to develop a solution
- Sharing solutions to benefit all learners
Please note - There is a later related CPD session at the same venue that may be of interest:
- Tues 24th Jan 4-6pm to support teachers to prepare pupils for exam success (GCSE Computer Science), 80% of terminal assessment. [details at http://exa.is/24jan16.twilight]
Car parking information: http://www.watfordutc.org/wp-content/uploads/FindUsMap-Car-Park.pdf