Actions and Detail Panel
Presenting and Storytelling for Sustainability
Wed 7 June 2017, 09:30 – 17:00 BST
Being able to communicate effectively is one of the most important aspects of sustainability
In business and sustainability, we are always in a process of presenting and telling stories, whether that be to an audience of hundreds at a conference or to your line manager when pitching an idea. This workshop will boost your confidence and take your skills in this critical area to the next level.
Learning and practicing
Storytelling is at the heart of all communication. This workshop will support you to develop the narratives you want to share, give hints, tips and techniques on presenting and lots of opportunities to practice what you've learnt. What you will understand from the course is:
- Preparation: it is essential to analyse your audience, considering their knowledge level and what is their demographic background.
- PowerPoint: how to create impactful slides that that tell a meaningful story for the audience.
- Giving evidence: what is your audience looking for to support the story you are giving them.
- Different presentation types: how to ensure your communication is adapted for the situation.
- Presentation flight: Presentation flight: how to ensure a dynamic takeoff, avoid sleep during the main flight and land safely with a satisfied audience.
- Audience interaction: how to get the audience involved, engaged and deal with questions.
- Plus bonus tips: 3 essential qualities of the best speakers. 4 frameworks for effective delivery. 5 golden rules of first class presentations.
Experiential Process with max six participants
The workshop will be a highly experiential space with a maximum of six participants to ensure you have plenty of time to practice and gain personal attention from the trainer.
In addition to what you will learn from the trainer, you will also do numerous presentations throughout the day, with time for feedback on each one. Additionally, some of the presentations can be filmed to give you a chance to reflect on your style (although you don’t have to do this!).
Examples of the presenting and storytelling exercises you will be doing are creating presentations aimed at the groups such as:
- Local champions
- Middle managers
- Board of your organisation
Being a confident, clear and compelling presenter is about a mind-set and approach that enables you to communicate effectively in any situation.
By the end of the day you will have considerably developed your presentation and storytelling skills and confidence.
Workshop leader - Adam Woodhall – Presenter and Storyteller
The workshop leader is Adam Woodhall of Inspiring Sustainability, an award-winning trainer with a qualification in presentation skills and very experienced facilitator, presenter and MC with many testimonials. He has worked with dozens of organisations and delivered hundreds of workshops to a wide range of organisations, such as Allianz Insurance, Parcelforce, University of Westminster, PwC and dozens more and you will get the chance to benefit from his experience and understanding of how to present effectively.
He has been working in Sustainability for 10 years, is author of the 'Empower Change' guide which has received great feedback and many excellent testimonials and a freelance journalist with Ethical Performance magazine, contributing over 30 articles in less than a year. This means he understands intimately how to craft a great narrative and present it to an audiance.