Presenting to Business - 26th June 2013
Wednesday, 26 June 2013 from 12:30 pm to 5:00 pm (British Summer Time United Kingdom Time)
Presenting to Business
Date: Wednesday 26th June 2013
Venue: UCL, Bloomsbury Campus (to be confirmed on registration)
Time: 12.30pm - 14.30pm (Session 1) and 15.00pm to 17.00pm (Session 2 - repeat of session 1)
The Presenting to Business workshop is one of a three part mini-course, Communicating Science to Business, which helps to prepare academics looking to maximise the benefits of presenting their academic research to business audiences.
The other two parts of the mini-courses are:
- How to Engage with Businesses
- How to be a Confident Networker
The stand alone workshops together make up a short programme - attend all three to maximise the value of participating. Particpants that complete all three sessions in the same academic year will receive a certificate to mark their achievements.
PRESENTING TO BUSINESS
Who should attend?
UCL academics working on research projects with potential commercial viability.
About the workshop:
The aim of the workshop is to help you to communicate your research to business. You will need to bring along with you a prepared presentation, for your own use (paper handout, AV will not be used or available). Alan will ask you to start presenting and will then ask you questions about what you are trying to achieve, if you think your presentation does this. He will tell you where you are going wrong and right. You should be prepared to expect a hard time, the end result, however, will be worth it.
One attendee spoke about the previous ‘Presenting to Business’ workshop held, commenting,
“I really enjoyed the afternoon. I attended this workshop to learn how to improve the quality of my scientific presentations to a general audience – this was achieved and I’ve already been able to use what I have learnt”.
About the Presenter:
This workshop will be led by Alan Stevens an external coach.
"Alan is a media coach, broadcaster, reputation expert, professional speaker and writer. He is also Past President Global Speakers Federation, the 6,000-strong worldwide professional body for the speaking profession.His company (www.mediacoach.co.uk) provides individuals and organisations with the skills to communicate more effectively in front of an audience. He is a former advisor to the UK Cabinet Office on communication strategy. As well as being a regular speaker at conferences around the world, he still broadcasts regularly on radio and television. The Independent newspaper listed him alongside Max Clifford as "one of the UK's top ten media experts, and he was recently named number 66 in the Top 100 social media experts to follow on Twitter".
How do I register?
Participation is free but places are limited to 10 people (5 per session). Please register using the link above, indicating which session is your preferred time.
The workshop is only 2 hours long, session 2 is a duplicate of session 1.
You are only permitted to attend 1 session.
Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions constitute a legally binding agreement between UCL Advances and the individual registering.
N.B. The term “event” refers to conferences/events/courses and workshops.
Payment and Confirmation of Booking
- If an e-mail confirmation has not been received after completing the registration process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final details will be sent up to seven working days prior to the event, please contact email@example.com if you do not receive event details.
- UCL Advances cannot be held responsible for the non-arrival of event information.
- During the event, please ensure that your attendance is noted each day to avoid being charged the cancellation fee (see below), normally by signing an attendance sheet at registration.
Cancellations and Refunds
- All cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing 3 full working days (Monday – Friday) prior to the start of the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the above notification period is not given, or in the event of non-attendance, then the following cancellation fee applies:
£25 for a half-day workshop or £50 for 1 or more days - whatever the reason
- Illness: in the event of non-attendance due to illness, a doctor’s certificate must be provided otherwise the full cancellation fee will be charged.
- Individuals who withdraw after the start of an event will still be liable for the cancellation fee.
- Non-attendance for paid events: an individual who has registered and doesn’t turn up for the event will be charged the full course fee, in addition to the cancellation fee as above. This is due to administrative, speaker and refreshment costs incurred by the department and your place could have been allocated to another individual.
- Attendees are welcome to send a substitute without incurring a charge, provided UCL Advances is notified in writing (email@example.com) 3 full working days prior to the event.
- Due to unforeseen circumstances, UCL Advances reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule an event. In the unlikely event of cancellations, UCL Advances will refund the full amount of the registration fee (if applicable). However personal expenses incurred by the attendee are non-refundable by UCL Advances.
- UCL Advances reserves the right to make changes to the programme, location and/or speakers without prior notice. Such alterations are occasionally necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of UCL Advances.
- UCL Staff
When applying for a course, UCL staff will be asked to provide an account code before the booking is confirmed. The cancellation fee will be automatically charged (according to the above) to your department if UCL Advances is not notified that you are unable to attend the course at least three working days prior to the event.
- UCL Students
UCL students wishing to attend will be personally liable for the cancellation. UCL Advances will contact them directly. As with all monies owed to UCL, unpaid fees may lead to delays in receiving your degree.
External businesses/individuals will be contacted directly for payment details if they don’t comply with the cancellation policy.
- Views expressed by speakers are their own. UCL Advances disclaim any liability for advice given, or views expressed, by any speaker at the event or in any documentation provided by delegates.
Filming and Photography
- Please note that for teaching and promotional purposes there may be a professional photographer and video production taking place during the event.
Delegate Access and Dietary Requirements
- UCL Advances makes every effort that their events are accessible and enjoyable for all attendees and we will always provide a vegetarian option in refreshments supplied.
- If dietary or specific requirements are required please inform firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of booking.
The registration information provided will be held on UCL databases. You may be contacted about other UCL Advances or UCL activities in the future. By submitting this information you agree that your details may be used for this purpose. Your details will not be passed on to any third parties.
UCL Innovation and Enterprise supports UCL’s staff and students to engage with businesses and external organisations with the aim of maximising the social and economic benefit of our knowledge and research. We do this through fostering innovation projects, developing partnerships, supporting entrepreneurship, and facilitating CPD and Life Learning.