Welcome to the Ramblers Roadshow 2017
Join us to find out more about how to get the most out of your Ramblers membership, to meet other members and volunteers and get direct access to our walking experts and specialist partners at one of our free Ramblers Roadshows.
Learn more about our organisation and vision, what we do as a charity and the impact that we make, as well as the chance to develop your skills and knowledge as a walker or as a volunteer.
Choose from our selection of free workshops. Whether you're just taking your first steps as a walker or are a regular volunteer with the Ramblers you'll find a workshop for you. We've outlined each workshop and who they are aimed at.
In the morning you can choose from:
- First aid for walkers and basic navigation - This workshop split into two sessions. The first aid section is run by the British Red Cross and aimed at anyone who goes out walking. It will help you build your knowledge so that you feel confident if something ever goes wrong. The navigation session is for new walkers, or current walkers who would like to brush up on their navigation skills.
- Introduction to walk leading - This workshop is for anybody who leads group walks. It goes through the process preparing for walks and leading them. There's lots of opportunity to share ideas.
- Getting more people walking - This is for any volunteer who is involved in the development or promotion of a walking programme. It focuses on using the web, Ramblers Routes and Group Walks and Events Manager to make group activities engaging and attractive.
- Using social media to promote your group - This workshop is aimed at volunteers who want to do more social media promotion. It will help you to identify and reach your target audience, create engaging messages and build an online community using social media.
- Basics of Rights of Way - This workshop is aimed at anyone who is involved in our Rights of Way work or would like to know more. It is an overview of the law relating to Rights of Way and access it covers some of the most common questions we get asked about by members of the public and volunteers.
In the afternoon you can choose from:
- Rights of way: specialist areas - This session will look at the definitive map and “lost ways”, and the Deregulation Act 2015 and the effect it will have on our rights of way work
- Retaining members and recruiting new ones - This session is all about attracting new walkers to membership via group activities and encouraging current members to get involved with group activities. Communicating and promoting membership to new and potential members is possible when we know and understand what our current and potential members want out of membership.
- Supporting the volunteer journey - To help volunteer managers deliver a consistent volunteer experience across their area, group or activity, by making them aware of how to use the support tools available
- How to run successful short walks - Short walks are a great way to diversify your group walks programme and to attract new walkers and leaders. We'll look at what makes a successful short walk, ideas to get other volunteers and walkers interested, and how to integrate short walks into your programme.
- Managing challenges on group walks - Every walk leader will, at some point, have to deal with a challenging situation. In this session we'll look at real life situations that Ramblers volunteers have encountered and discuss how to resolve them. We will also consider how best to be prepared including equipment and ways to contact emergency services.